Friday, October 1, 2010

Upstate New York, Upstate New York, Upstate New York

Sysco Foods
Syracuse, NY
This is what a receiving dock looks like at 5:30 in the morning. I know this because we got up at 3:30 this morning and drove there.

We spent most of yesterday evening, last night and today in upstate New York and I just love saying "upstate New York". It sounds so cool, particularly to a midwest girl who never even entered the state of New York until I went there with Mr. Trucker. I always figured the entire state would be just like New York City, but boy was I wrong! New York state is beautiful in its northern parts. It borders two of my beloved Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario for you Geography lovers) and is just a hop, skip, and a jump from Canada.


I have travelled some in the New England states and one of the things that really struck me is that history is so much older the further east you go. In Wisconsin, a 50 year old home is old, and 100 year old homes are rare. Out east 100+ year old homes are everywhere! We had a lengthy wait at a shipper in East Williamson, NY today after delivering at Sysco, so I took advantage of the opportunity to go for a walk to see what I could see. 


East Williamson
Post Office



Beautiful stonework!

Old stone foundation











Due to it being Autumn, the colors are spectacular. The area is filled with little farms, haystacks, pumpkin stands around every bend...


I kept expecting Martha Stewart
to jump out from behind a bush!
Doesn't she live around here someplace?


Thanks go out to reader g.g. who provided my requested pronunciation of Conneaut (connie-ott), Ohio.

Today's strange sounding town name: Lackawanna, NY.

Over...



No comments:

Post a Comment